My baby is now 2 weeks old. I think we might have officially experienced our first "growth spurt". Every I since Tuesday Jack has been quite the little monster, fully living up to his nickname. He was extra fussy, wanted to eat basically every hour, and had a really hard time going to sleep at night. I did a little research last night when I was about to lose the last shreds of sanity I was holding on to and found a lot of articles about a growth spurt occurring at about 2 weeks. The characteristics seemed to match up exactly to what we were experiencing here at home. At the pediatrician appointment on Tuesday, the Doctor told me it would be ok to let Jack just wake us up at night when he was ready to be fed rather than needing to wake him up every 3 hours. Well last night he went to sleep around 11pm (fought sleep for about 3 hours before flinally passing out), woke up at 2:30am to eat (took 2 hours to finally fall back asleep), then woke up at 7am hungry again. I considered that a pretty good night other than the 2 hours he fought going back to sleep. I was pretty worn out this morning so for the 7am feeding I decided to try the "side lying" position for breastfeeding. Basically you and baby lay on your side facing eachother and you feed him that way. I had heard this is a good option for night time because it allows you to rest a bit more since you don't actually have to hold the baby. While I am still really nervous about having Jack in our bed and rolling over on him or something, I think this was actually great for us. I put him in the middle of the bed (Pete was getting ready for work), put an around my baby and eventually we both fell asleep. Jack got a good feeding in and then we both slept 2 more hours! Ahh those 2 hours were so needed for both of us. This morning Jack has been a much happier baby than the last 2 days. He did a little bit of tummy time on his mat and is now swinging away peacefully. This afternoon I am planning to get out of the house a little bit alone just to run a few errands, but mostly to have a little peace and quiet for my mental health. Thankfully my mom is here to watch Jack. My dad has had a cough for a week now so I finally convinced him to get an appointment at my doctor's office and hopefully get some good cough syrup. I know he is afraid to get Jack sick so has been keeping his distance, but hopefully he'll get some relief soon. Tonight Jack and I are going to our first La Leche League meeting in The Woodlands. This is a group of nursing mothers that meet monthly. My mom was a member of the organization back when Brad and I were born, so she is going to attend the meeting with us. Hopefully I'll learn some new things and more importantly meeting some other mommies!
And now for some updated pictures of my little guy:
Jack loves relaxing in his bouncy seat-
Just relaxing with Mommy-
I just love these overalls! I made Jack's birth announcements with a picture from this little "photo shoot" from the other day.
And here is the Little Monster's Halloween costume-
I LOVE the side lying position!
ReplyDeleteThat monster costume is ADORABLE! Love the new pics!
That costume is so cute! Thanks for sharing the photos. So adorable! :)
ReplyDelete