Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Random thoughts from week 1

I don't have much time to put together a well thought out blog, but here are some of my random thoughts from the past week:

  • There is nothing better than having your baby cuddled up on your chest and sleeping soundly
  • Conversations about baby poo poo and wet diapers are quite common around our house
  • Pete and I have been waking up every 3 hours so I can feed Jack.  Most of the time Pete ends up just watching me to make sure I keep my eyes open and don't fall asleep
  • Epsom Salt baths are pretty incredible.  Thanks to Pete for letting me just relax in the tub for an hour each day while him and Jack have "boy time."
  • I have fallen asleep doing almost any task in the last week, but if you ask me I'm not really that tired.  I guess my body knows better than my head.
  • I have an unexplained bruise/mark on my left forearm.  It looks like a bruise, but doesn't really hurt so I've been trying to scrub it off.  The only thing I can think of is that it is still from the die stuff on Jack's umbilical cord stump.  If so that stuff is strong because I really try everyday to scrub it off.
  • We need to do better at taking pictures with our regular camera, not just BlackBerry's all the time.  I'm going to try better at this today.
  • Products from the hospital that I have grown to love:  Tucks pads, hydrocortisone creme, and Dermoplast spray.  If you've given birth vaginally before you'll understand.  Also a special thanks to Jane for blogging about the Always Infinity pads.  I bought some before going to the hospital and am now a big time believer.  They are so thing and absorbant and oh so much better than the life rafts the hospital gave me.
  • I'm so thankful that Pete was able to take this week off of work.  I think we really needed this week home just us and Jack to figure some things out and work together as a family.  Now that being said we are thrilled that my parents are coming on Saturday and staying for 2 weeks.  We can use all the help and I'm definitely going to need it when Pete goes back to work on Monday.
  • We accidentally slept through Jack's 1am feeding (going with the 3 hour plan right now), and didn't feed him until 4am.  The result was that I could barely get up and when I took off my bra, my breasts were literally dripping milk.  My breasts were so painful that as soon as I fed Jack I ran out to the living room and pumped 2oz very quickly.  I wasn't going to start  pumping for a few more weeks, but I've felt so engorged lately that I've just been pumping out 2oz a day and freezing them.  At this rate I'll have a nice supply in the fridge by the time I go back to work.
That's all for now.  I'll get back to posting pictures later today (when I start using the camera again).  Tonight I want to copy Meg and post my 40 week picture with me holding Jack (she did this for 41 weeks).  I've lost 25 pounds in one week....YES!  Obviously about 10 pounds of this was Jack, plus fluids, so I haven't really done much to lose the weight but I feel great.  My goal is to be down to 140 by the time I go back to work (so 25 pounds more to go).  I've been eating really healthy this week and I know the breastfeeding really helps.  I'm excited to be able to do some working out though whnenever the doctor clears me.  Who knows maybe I'll even break out the Bender Ball I ordered a few years ago and never used....hahaha good joke between Pete and me about that one.  I think my mom had a Bender Ball too and Pete just rolled his eyes when he saw it at her house...apple doesn't fall far from the tree. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! Brings me back. :-) My random thoughts reading this post:

    - I totally related to falling asleep at random times, but not really feeling tired. It's amazing how much little sleep you need to survive. I remember being sleep deprived, but still being (fairly) functional. It's just something your body knows how to do. Crazy!
    - I laughed out loud when you mentioned the "life rafts" the hospital gives you. Haha!!! I never tried the Infinity pads. I will have to keep that in mind for next time. Thank you, Melissa and Jane!
    - I loved the Tucks witch hazel pads, too. The other day I was wandering around the baby aisle and saw them on the shelf. It definitely brought back memories...and now I know where to find them next time!
    - I'm excited for more pics! :-)
    - I wish I would have had a pump when I was engorged! I remember frantically trying to get David to eat and, if I couldn't, trying to manually express milk into the sink or tub. Glad you can get relief AND start storing up for going back to work! Nice!
    - Giving birth is the fastest weight loss program ever! Haha. When again will you lose ~30 pounds in one day? :-)
    - One thing I learned about breastfeeding is that it makes you lose more calories, but it also makes you hungrier. Don't shy away from eating when you need to. David is 8 months and I'm just back to my pre-pregnancy weight (although I was a bit further away from goal weight than you are...oops!). I think there is something to be said about 9 months to put on and 9 months to take off. I'm so happy you're feeling great and you look FANTASTIC (!!!!!!!!!!), just don't be afraid to take it easy. :-)
    - I can't wait to meet Jack!!!!!!!!!!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha - You're welcome! Aren't they awesome?!?!

    One thought to add to Meg's list - I'm wondering if you had your IV site in your left forearm and it's slightly bruised...? That happened to me when I had Eden.

    Love all the other thoughts and updates! Sounds like you and Pete have the teamwork parenting down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My IV was in the top of my right hand....very annoying location actually. I think that when I was freezing and losing blood they tried sticking me in different locations to check my blood type so maybe that is why I bruised, but then again I thought they did that more in my elbow area of that arm. Who knows....it's going away now though.

    ReplyDelete