Does baby's first prescription count as a milestone? Well this afternoon I took Jack to Dr. Stevens' office to talk about the stomach issues and fussyness he's been having. Dr. Stevens is so wonderful and really made this first time parent feel at ease. She was "impressed" by Jack's lung capacity for crying....hahaha! After we chatted about Jack's recent symptoms and about how nursing has been going, she told me she thought he has reflux. Apparently this isn't totally uncommon and can be really uncomfortable for babies. She prescribed Zantac for 4 weeks and by then we'll be back for his 2 month well baby check up. She said the medicine will likely take 2 weeks to really be effective, but that this should help out a lot. She also gave me some tips on burping him and recommended a pillow that he could sleep on that might help with the reflux at night. I didn't get over to the store she mentioned tonight, but I'm picturing it as some type of wedge pillow. I really hope this helps because it's sad to see my baby looking like he's in pain. And if it helps cut down even 50% of the crying that would be even better.
Things have been better though like I mentioned yesterday. Being busy definitely helps though. This morning at 10 we met up with 2 other mom's and their babies for a walk in The Woodlands. It was a bit chilly, but we had our babies all bundled up. We stopped at a specialty type grocery store towards the end of the walk and enjoyed all of the samples before we each grabbed a couple things for a quick lunch. I had a twice baked potato and pork egg roll. They were both huge and delicious! Unfortunately I hadn't timed things exactly right and Jack needed to eat too, so I ate quickly and we headed to the car so I could feed him. Then we were off to the doctor's office.
By the time we got back from the doctor's office Pete was already home which was a nice surprise. We quickly cleaned the house to get ready for our visitors this weekend. Also, our friends Mike & Melissa brought chinese food over for dinner!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Not that I deserve any credit, BUT didn't I mention reflux on the phone with you the other day?! :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad there's a solution to the crying! I hope little Jack feels better real soon! Reflux - ouch!