Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Much better day

I haven't blogged at all this week because I really didn't have much positive to say. Then along came today and we finally had a pretty good day!

Jack didn't really sleep well last night like he had previously, which we are thinking has to do with gas. The poor guy looks to uncomfortable. After a few people mentioned this is common and to try Mylicon drops I headed over to Walgreens and bought a bottle. I can't really say they've helped at all, but maybe it takes time. Anyway I made an appointment to see our pediatrician tomorrow afternoon to get her advice. I hate that he looks like he's in so much pain, and if it's something I'm eating I'll try to change my diet but I'd like to hear it from the professional before I get all crazy.

Anyway today Jack and I ventured downtown to meet up with my coworker Matt for lunch. Jack was such a good boy and slept through lunch so I could get caught up on all the office "gossip.". Then we headed into the office for me to show off my baby. Everyone loved seeing Jack and he was pretty good at first, then got really fussy. I could tell his tummy was really bothering him at this point. My admin, Letti, took him from me and used all her mother and grandmother tricks to calm him down. She even commented on how tense he was and that she could feel his tummy cramping. It was so cute to see some of the guys holding Jack, especially my bosses with grown children. They were all such naturals. We stayed until almost 4:30. It was so nice to catch up with everyone and just get to rest my arms for a bit as people took turns holding Jack.

Then when we got home, Pete was already here! What a difference it is to have him home at 5pm. Some friends of ours are coming over for dinner tomorrow so I went to the grocery store ALONE (so much easier) and purchased steaks and veggies to cook on the grill. Pete and I cooked some tilapia, rice, and veggies for dinner. It was just so nice to have Jack resting a bit and be able to share a nice simple dinner with my husband. Now I am nursing my baby and hoping to falls asleep easily tonight so Pete and I can just relax together tonight, he promised no school work tonight!

Tomorrow we are meeting up with some people from my Monday Mom's group to go for a walk in The Woodlands. A couple of us started this last week and it was really fun. I think at least one other person is going to join us this week too. Then pediatrician's office in the afternoon and if we have time afterwards we'll make a quick stop at Babies R Us to pick up a few things that would make my life easier.  And this weekend Pete's Dad and Stepmom are coming to visit!  We know they are really coming to see Jack and we just happen to be staying in the same house, but it will be great to have the extra hands around!

On the list for next week, Uncle Brad comes to visit and I need to figure how I can increase my milk supply so I can pump and get a good backup in the freezer (the two are no related...hahaha). I really want to supply Jack with breastmilk as long as possible and I know that will be a big sacrifice for me when I go back to work, so I really want to be as educated as I can. I also need to be practical and if I can't supply him 100% and keep my sanity when I go back to work than that isn't really good either.

And now for some pictures:

This is Jack's outfit for going into my office this morning.  Please note the "penny loafer" socks he wore.  Thank's Aunt Meg!


It got a bit chilly here in Houston this week, so I took Jack into Old Navy to get a fleece sweatshirt/jacket for our walks.  I was so excited to find this cute hoodie!  I think he likes it :)


This picture cracks me up because he is all head.  Jack has become much more alert the past couple of days and really likes looking around.  It's nice to see his eyes open more often.

And here is a picture from shopping in The Woodlands last week with my parents.  I carried Jack around in the Baby Bjorn which he seems to enjoy.  He was pretty chilled out in the carrier except when I would take a break and sit down.  He just doesn't want to give Mommy a break.

5 comments:

  1. One thought...you may have already heard of it and tried it...the LOVE massage...? I used it on Patton when he had some gas issues a little while ago and it worked well for us. You can find it on youtube.

    I'm SO glad that you had a better day today. I've been thinking about you and praying for you! And I'm happy that you're having visitors, too - it will definitely give you a bit of a break.

    As far as increasing your supply, what has always worked for me is increasing my water intake (which I know you know), and also, eating oatmeal. I don't know why, but I heard that was a little trick and when I tried it, it worked for me. I give you MAJOR props for trying to continue breastfeeding when going back to work full time. It's not easy. But, I'm totally understanding of you needing to be practical, too. With everything that's been going on around here, I've backed off to about 25% breastmilk and 75% formula for Patton. I just couldn't keep up and it was stressing me out...which made my supply nosedive. I feel SO much better about it now! It's most important to do what works for you and Jack more than anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Jane! You commented before I got the new pictures posted though...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post, Melissa! Glad you had a better day! :) Enjoyed the photos. Such a cute little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, this post makes me so happy! Mommy walks and outings are so much fun! They definitely make my days easier. I'm sure the office just loved seeing little Jack. I adore that outfit! And, of course, those penny loafers are so stinkin' cute!

    Some of my mom friends have taken fenugreek when they've wanted to increase their milk supply. It's some sort of plant that you can take in pill form....and I believe there are cookies for breastfeeding women with fenugreek in it. Apparently it works wonders. I never tried it because I didn't need to make bottles and I already had issues with engorgement. I totally support the introduction of formula at any point, too. Right now it's easier (and cheaper) for me to just breastfeed. I don't know how those working mamas do it! I hate pumping!

    Love these pics of Jack! I especially love the one of him with his eyes open! He looks like a perfect mixture of you and Pete. It's so fun when they become more alert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I can't believe I was that quick on the blog reading - ha! He has grown so much! It's fun (and a little sad...let's call it bittersweet) to watch them grow out of the newborn stage and into being infants. Each stage brings its own challenges and exciting things to look forward to! :)

    ReplyDelete