Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Relaxing weekend....

After another busy work week, I really needed this relaxing weekend at home.  Who knows how many more we'll have just the 2 of us.  Pete has a Management exam on Monday too, so that made it even easier to stay home and relax for me since he was studying so much.

Friday when I got home from work I decided to take a quick shower to wash the sweat off me.  Well I wasn't pretty exhausted and not being very careful and slipped a little when getting into the shower.  I ended up getting a nice gash on the bottom of my right heel and bruising my left knee a bit, I'm not sure how it all happened but it was pretty quick and scared me a lot.  Pete wasn't home yet so I had to suck it up and get the blood to stop on my own.  Luckily it really wasn't that bad, but my already sore feet have been feeling even worse.  I think God was trying to tell me to slow down and stay off my feet this weekend.  I sort of listened.

Saturday we had a lot of fun hanging out with my cousin Christa, her husband Chad, their son Drew, and Chad's mom Donna.  Chad's parents live in Houston and we always have a lot of fun hanging out at their pool and watching MSU football.  The football game was a blow out, so mostly we just enjoyed the pool.  It was a beautiful day!

Last night I slept for 10.5 hours....wow!  This morning we went to church at 10:45 even though we were up earlier, but I thought I was reading at Mass today.  Well there was a little miscommunication and they had already gotten me a sub because I had asked to be removed from the schedule for a few months so I didn't end up reading.  Oh well it was a great service and it's fun to see our Priest and the other people at church get excited about Jack's pending arrival.  I can't wait until the first time we can go to Mass with our little baby :)

Then we came home to watch the Texans vs. Cowboys.  There was a lot of hype going into the game, but sadly the Texans came up short and lost...bummer!  I had a few returns to make at Babies R Us and Target, then went to HEB to get our groceries for the week.  I have to tell you about my good deal at Babies R Us.  After talking with a new mom/friend of mine about her breast pump I finally decided which one I wanted and exactly how I was going to get the best deal on it.


I decided on the Medela Freestyle for the following reasons:

  • The brand has been recommended by several people to me
  • Double Electric and hands-free - it is basically the top of the line Medela pump and recommended for daily use.  With me going back to work, I really wanted the product that would make pumping the most convenient.
  • The pump is very small, includes a rechargeable battery pack so you don't need to be near an outlet, and it weighs less than a pound
  • The pump is a separate unit so can easily be put in a briefcase or used in the bag it comes with.  I think this will be good for day trips for work.
And now for how I paid for it.  Well I've looked around online and at many different stores and the price is pretty much consistently $379.99...yikes!  And yes I called my insurance, but they wouldn't pay for it (some insurance does though so it was worth the call).  I used a Babies R Us 20% off coupon, 10% registry completion coupon, and opened a Babies R Us Credit Card for an additional 10%.  Then I had $25 of store credit from some returns I made earlier that day and $80 in cash from my work shower.  All in all I think we ended up paying about $150 out of pocket.  Not bad!  I'm glad I waited to purchase it when I did and really hope this makes breastfeeding a little more convenient and less time consuming.

3 comments:

  1. Good work on the breast pump! I've heard good things about that one, too. I admire your determination to breastfeed and work. I'm sure it won't be easy, but you're doing everything you can to make it convenient for you and lil Jack. You're such an awesome mommy already!

    P.S. Glad you had a relaxing weekend and, yes, stay off your feet as much as possible! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a fair amount of anxiety already about my return to work, but hopefully this is one of those "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" cases. I think I'm nervous because we are moving floors while I'm on my leave so I have no idea where I'll be able to pump. Also I think I can handle routine pretty well, but nervous about potential travel next spring. It's all just something to be managed and I know I can do it, but just fear of the unknown I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started to wonder about breast pumps. I heard Medela is the best... I might have to look at that one. Thanks, Melissa! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete